Friday, February 5, 2010

Sicko

A nasty bug made its way into our house last week and we are finally on the mend! Long story short, both kiddos were diagnosed with RSV. Owen had a fever for 5 days and a nasty cough. Sydney had no fever, but a bad runny nose, an ear infection and difficulty breathing - wheezing and retracting with each breath. It was a bit scary there for a while with her. I was about to take her to the ER on Tuesday morning, but I calmed myself down and waited to go in to the doctor's office instead (this just about 12 hours after our first doc appointment, where they informed me that it would get worse before it got better). Her oxygen levels were fine and the doc said they call babies like her "Happy Wheezers". We were prescribed an inhaler and an antibiotic for the ear infection (round THREE of antibiotics for her THIRD ear infection).

Sidenote: With the inhaler we also had to get a chamber and mask that attached to it so that Sydney would be able to use it. Our insurance didn't cover that because it was considered a "medical accessory". It was 36 bucks, so we grumbled about it a bit, paid for it and went home. Now, how in the world is it considered an accessory? Do they really think that my 8 month old baby would be able to put the inhaler in her mouth and suck when I said suck? Apparently I'm still grumbling about this...

As for Owen, you know he's feeling better when he goes upstairs after breakfast and comes down fully decked out in his Spiderman costume. Sydney sounds SO much better - no more wheezing, just a lingering runny nose. I think things are looking up for us!

No comments: