Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bedtime...

Owen's Nana and Poppy took him to the state fair today, where he had a wonderful time. He was having way too much fun for a nap, and came home around 3pm. We decided it was too late to put him down for a nap at that point, so we planned on an early bedtime instead. Ahh, bedtime...it can be filled with such mundane tasks, such sweet moments, and some nights, such awesome tantrums. Tonight was no exception. The first tantrum came when we told him he had to say goodnight to his buddy Grant and come in for a bath. We bathed him, brushed his teeth and put him in his PJs, and all the while the tantrum went on...

Things finally calmed down when he was told that if he didn't stop there would be no books that night. I went in to read him books, but he asked me to tell him a story instead. I made up about 5 different stories (all involving two boys named Owen and Grant, 3 involving a princess, and one of the 3 princesses named "Princess Lady Gaga" - yes, Owen's choice). Finally, I told him I would either read a book or tell one more story and then it was lights out. He chose a story, so I complied. When I finished he insisted that I read a book, and when I said no and turned out the lights, he began yet another tantrum.

At this point Ben came in with a crying and hungry baby, so I left and Ben took over dealing with the tantrum. Owen would not calm down, so Ben left the room and told him he'd come back when the crying stopped. It went on for about 5 more minutes and then it was suddenly quiet. We went to check on him after a few more minutes and found him fast asleep, with his light ON and the book "The Little Engine That Could" opened up on his chest. I really wish I took a picture. It's so Owen - defiant and determined until he just can't stay awake a minute longer. I'm sure he felt smug as he turned on the light and decided to read to himself after Mom and Dad said no.

Now that it's all said and done, it's 9:05 and I have two sleeping children. Ahhh, Bedtime!

No comments: