Monday, September 9, 2013

Back to Work

There have been alot of changes in the Powell household over the last couple of months.  The biggest change (and the reason for my lack of blog posts lately) is that I have re-entered the work force.  I write that with a bit of a snicker because I know the army of stay-at-home-moms out there represent a large portion of the "work force."  And their "work," in my mind, is harder than any desk job.  The force of their work is very powerful indeed!  I also feel odd speaking about "them" as if I am no longer a part of that group. I've been procrastinating this blog post for a while because, in a way, it forces me to draw a line in the sand and say, "I am no longer a stay-at-home mom."

I've done well at pushing my emotions about this change in title to the side and just going with the flow; being in the moment.  I wouldn't trade the years I got to be home with my kids for anything.  Those 6 1/2 years were the hardest, most challenging, most rewarding, most fun, most frustrating, most soul-searching, most reinventing years to date.  I met some of my best friends during these years....women who taught me things about myself that I didn't know; who challenged me (without trying to) to learn new things, to see things differently.  I discovered things about myself that I didn't really like.  For example, I wish I had more patience.  I wish I got more joy out of my vegetable garden (if you'd even call it that).  I learned just how much work it takes behind the scenes to keep a household functioning, and I learned to appreciate my Mother and Grandmothers that much more.

One of the most important lessons I learned, and one that I hope to pass on to my kiddos, is that you have to accept who you are and be at peace with yourself.  Challenge yourself, try new things, never give up, but don't lose sight of who you are and how God made you.  Accept your flaws just as much as your strengths.  You will never be perfect (or what your idea of perfect is), and that is okay.   Just be your best self.  Amen!



2 comments:

Sara said...

Amen, sista! :) Great post, Francie.

Rhonda said...

Love you!