I spend a lot of time beating myself up about the things I'm probably doing wrong as a parent. To name a few:
- I should make Sydney practice writing her name more
- I should craft more with them
- I should not let them watch TV or play video games as much as they do
- They should eat better
- I should push chores more and stop doing things for them because I'm in a hurry
- and so on....
Tonight after school Owen asked if we could go to the library after dinner. I answered with the typical "we'll see" and went about my business. He mentioned it a couple more times and finally after dinner asked again. We go there somewhat regularly, and if I'm ever there without them, I always bring books home, so again, I wasn't really thinking it was a big deal either way. I realized in that moment that it would be silly to turn down a child's request to go to the library....ever...so I said yes. You would have thought I just told them we were going to the movies, or bowling, or laser tag...or whatever it is kids think is fun these days. Owen gave a triumphant "YESSSS!" and Sydney jumped and danced saying "I'm so excited! I'm so excited" (I'm so....scared...... sorry for the Saved by the Bell reference...she didn't really say that but it just popped in my head as I was typing...anyway....) We went to the library and they both picked out a few books and were super happy. We got in the car and they both "read" their books the whole way home (wish I snapped a photo). It was really cute (and let's not forget about the impromptu "performance" that Sydney gave Ben and I on the bandstand outside the library...spins, jumping jacks, wiggles, ended with a bow and a wave to her adoring fans....I think this girl has some flair for the dramatic bursting at the seams!)
Anyway...the point of this whole story is...I had a moment on the way home thinking, I must have done something right somewhere along the way. I love that they love the library. I may have screwed them up in many other ways, but at least Ben and I are fostering their interest in books and reading. I hope it is something in which they will always find joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment