Ben and I dreamed of having a chocolate lab named Simon before we were even married. In fact, the cake at our rehearsal dinner was a giant chocolate lab face - we loved it! The day after returning from our honeymoon, we found an ad in the paper for chocolate lab pups. 2 days later, Simon was home with us. Here are his first few pictures:

He was our first "Baby" and we definitely treated him like a first born. We went to every "well-puppy" vet appointment together, and looked at the growth charts excited about how big he was getting. We took him to a dog trainer and were so proud that he was doing so well (until the very last day when he was the worst in class!). We went everywhere with him - hiking, swimming, to visit family, the dog olympics, and took countless hours of video. We bored our family members by making them watch the videos :) Needless to say, we were totally in love with this dog. We quickly learned that he loved dog walks, and basketball. He also loved kids. We lived in an apartment in Columbia during our first year of marriage and the kids would knock on the door asking to play with him. He was in heaven!

We moved to our house in Edwardsville a year later and he adjusted very well. We loved taking him to the local trails with our family, and his best buddy Stockton.

I love this pic of him with the lampshade - he had to wear it after going a little too crazy on the trail one day and cutting his paw on some barbed wire.

Not long after that, we welcomed our first new arrival, Atticus. Though the two pretended not to care much for each other, we would frequently find them snuggled together.

Owen arrived in March of 2006, and Simon again adjusted very well. I remember pacing the halls with Owen as an infant, having a bad case of the baby blues and crying for Simon because I felt bad that his life was going to be changed by this new family member. Little did I know, they both would grow to love and appreciate each other very much.

Sydney arrived next, and by this time Simon was a pro at adjusting to our growing family. He welcomed and loved her easily. She was raised with his presence and never feared him. She'd giggle when he'd lick her and laugh when she watched him play.

Simon loved playing in the snow, swimming, hiking on the trails, and being with us. He was a happy dog and loved his routine. If it was 3:30 and he hadn't been fed yet, he would make sure we knew. In his younger years, he was a happy and eager running partner and loved heading to the track with me. I'd let him off the leash and for a couple laps he'd run off and do his own exploring but would always end up by my side.
He also loved going on walks. He had a way of looking at me and I knew exactly what he was thinking - WALK! Before the kids were born, I worked from home and walked Simon every day on my lunch break. I appreciated the exercise and so did he. After the kids were born, the walks were not as often, but I'm still pretty sure he averaged 2-3 walks per week even during those tough newborn weeks. Owen loved going on dog walks, and then slowly grew out of that. By then I had Sydney as a happy and willing partner, and this most recent Spring/Summer, she never turned down the opportunity. Our walks took longer because she'd want to get out and explore, but Simon never seemed to mind. I think those walks are something I'm going to miss the most. At times they felt like a chore, but they always were my time to connect with him and see him at his happiest.
Here are some more of my favorite pictures of him.

Simon turned ten this month. He was diagnosed with cancer of the spleen. He was bleeding internally and rather than have him suffer, we put him to sleep peacefully. I hope he knows how much he was loved, and that we tried so hard to do what was best for him, throughout his life up until the very end.
As with all things in life, you realize how quickly the time has passed once something is over. Though his life is over, his memories and love will always live in our hearts. I find peace in thinking that he is reunited with Stockton and Coosie wherever they are. I know the tears will soon turn to smiles and laughter as we remember him. Thanks for bringing so much joy to our life, buddy.
2 comments:
:( blink, sniff.
Oh, Francie (and Ben and Owen and Sydney), I am SO sorry. Such a great post in tribute to Simon... it brought tears to my eyes. I know you will miss him dearly. Prayers are with you all.
Post a Comment