Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

It is 6:15 on Christmas morning and I have just pulled my first semi-all-nighter since college (well, maybe since Owen was an infant). I've probably slept 2 hours total in 20 minute increments. Poor Owen did about the same. He's been in pretty severe pain due to what I'm guessing is an ear infection. I feel so sorry for him. I feel bad that around 3:30 a.m I lost my patience with him and didn't hide my irritation/frustration (there was a significant amount of crying and whining involved). Around 4:30, when I finally accepted that there would be little to no sleep for us tonight, as I held him propped up in my arms while he dozed for a bit, I had a moment of grace. Here I had been frustrated that we weren't sleeping, and on all nights Christmas Eve. Then I remembered that there are so many kids sleeping in a hospital somewhere. So many people praying for the gift of a child on Christmas. I am so truly and utterly blessed and I'm so thankful for this sleepless night to help me remember that. I think we'll head downstairs the next time Owen wakes to see if Santa came. Then we'll head to the urgent care clinic to see if they can get some better form of relief for him. Then we'll both nap. Then we'll spend the rest of the day enoying our gifts - Owen and Sydney will play with their toys, and my greatest gift will be sitting there watching them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a nice hot washcloth placed over the infected ear makes the kiddos feel a lot better. Works great on Kieran, and buys us all a little shut-eye!