Saturday, August 8, 2009

Diving Board

I took Owen swimming at the YMCA today, to a pool with a diving board. The whole time we were there, I could tell he was very interested in watching the boys and girls jump off the board. We were in the shallow end, and as usual he was NOT wanting me to let go of him. He'd happily jump to me from the side, but scream if I even tried to let go (he was wearing a swim vest). We were getting ready to leave when he told me he wanted to jump off the diving board. I figured I'd let him try, assuming he'd give up once he got up there. I told the lifeguard what we were doing and asked her to help him if he tried to get down (since I was in the water waiting to catch him). I must mention that this particular lifeguard was a cute young girl, probably a college student (whoa I feel old referring to her as young). Owen has always clammed up around cute girls in that age group. He walked to the edge of the board, and as I expected, started to hesitate. The lifeguard headed his way and said "Here buddy, let me help you." I could tell by the look on his face that the thought of her helping him was worse than the thought of jumping in - it was hysterical. He yelled "I don't need any help!" in kind of a worried tone. She came and grabbed his hands anyway, at which point he couldn't take it and JUMPED! The story doesn't do it justice - it was really a moment that you had to witness (I'm laughing as I type this). Just typical Owen. After that, of course he loved the diving board and had to do it again (this time no help needed).

No comments: