Sunday, January 25, 2009

We'll All Float On...

Owen is becoming quite the little rocker. There are two things I can think of that have sparked his interest in all things musical (well, mostly just drums and guitars). The first is the show "Imagination Movers" on the disney channel. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it for the child in your life. The guys on the show play music in every episode, and now Owen is requesting a set of drums just like Rich. The second is the fact that he has watched Ben and I play Rock Band on a number of occasions. For Christmas, Owen got a little guitar and is constantly walking around strumming it asking us if we want to hear a song. He's also had a big plastic drum for over a year now that just in the past few weeks he has become quite attached to. This is not one of my favorites, as I now spend many times a day hearing the endless banging. We've (mistakenly!) broken out a few pots and pans which he arranges on the floor and bangs on as he sings a song - he's actually a little songwriter as well, penning future hits such as "Falling in the Mud", and "Splashing in the Water".



Ben downloaded a couple of songs that we played on Rock Band into our iPod and played them in the car one day around Christmas. The two songs are "White Wedding" by Billy Idol, and "Float On" by Modest Mouse. Owen heard them in the car and immediately recognized them as Rock Band songs. Now ANYTIME we get in the car we HAVE to hear White Wedding followed by Float On before anything else. Otherwise, it's not a pleasant car ride. Ben and I are both extremely tired of these songs as we sometimes hear them 4 times a day... But Owen still loves them.

One of the good things about hearing "Float On" 4 times a day is that it reminds me to chill out and relax! Here is a snippet of the lyrics:

Bad news comes, don't you worry even when it lands.
Good news will work its way to all them plans.

Alright already we'll all float on.
Alright don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy.
Don't worry, we'll all float on....

1 comment:

Allie said...

Guess what song popped up on my iPod tonight? FLOAT ON! I must say, how the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did you figure out what that man was singing? He mumbles big time!!! But the song definitley has new meaning (now that I understand what he is singing)!! Love it!!