
Edwardsville got about 8 inches of snow last night, so Owen and I spent some time playing in it together this morning. However, while we were out, he was mostly interested in what our neighbor, Josh, was doing. Or, I should say, he was mostly interested in making sure Josh was aware of what
he was doing! He spent most of his time narrating to him - "Big step, Josh", or "Look at the snow Josh!" This just follows along with his current pattern of wanting to 'play' with those around him. And by 'those around him' I am referring to the many stuffed animals that can be found around our house. Favorites include "Mr. Bear", "Blue Bear", and "Prayer Bear" (a little bear that says a night time prayer when you push his belly). All day long Owen will tell me that "Mr. Bear wants to play with xyz", and by that he means that
I am to get Mr. Bear and make him play with whatever it is at the time. He then likes to converse with the animals - "What's that, Mr. Bear?......pause....it's a diaper Mr. Bear!.....Mr. Bear change his diaper?"...at which time I am to change Mr. Bear's diaper. This goes on for hours!

One other interesting development in our household is that Owen has learned the new phrase "I don't want to". A typical conversation goes like this:
Me: Let's change your diaper.
Owen: I don't want to change my diaper.
Me: How about a drink of milk?
Owen: I don't want to drink milk.
I think he mostly says this because it's fun for him to state his opinion, but it has quickly become one of my not so favorite sayings of his!
Owen is also showing signs of taking after his Daddy lately, by honing his negotiating skills. Here is a quick example:
Me: Owen, don't bang your spoon on the table.
Owen: (starts to slowly pat the spoon on the table) You can bang little.
Me: Owen, please don't bang on the oven.
Owen: (moves to the refrigerator) You can bang on refrigerator.
Me: No, you can't bang on the refrigerator either.
Owen: (moves to the trash can) You can bang trash.
You gotta love it!!
3 comments:
This is going to replace the Post-Dispatch as my first target of the morning. It will be like waiting for Santa to see if there's a new entry on any given day. What a treat! --thanks
HAHAHA this is awesome! Maybe you don't know this, and maybe this is kinda strange too, but Scott and I spend a lot of time mimicking Owen's cute phrases-- "Owen get down?"-- to one another because they're so darn cute. I can just picture Owen doing the banging routine (though I don't know how funny or cute it ends up being after repeat performances).
Love it!! We will look forward to seeing what the Big O is up to every day - so you better keep this current now that you've started it. We are starved for info about all of you and this is just what we need. Thanks and love you!!!!
Post a Comment